(c) 2008 Manoucher Parvin
Manoucher Parvin is self educated in many fields. Because of his scientific and creative work in several fields he is now widely regarded as a polymath.
- B.S.E.E. University of Toledo, 1959,
- Ph.D. Columbia University, 1969 President Fellowship
Courses taught: The many courses taught at graduate and undergraduate levels include more technical fields such as mathematical economics, and econometrics, and less technical fields such as comparative systems, history of economic thought and political economy of Middle East. Professor Parvin has also taught courses relating to economics of knowledge and technology, health, and education, environmental economics, political economy, and creative writing and poetry.
- 1999-2003 Emory University, Professor
- 1978-1998 Akron University, Professor
- 1974-1978 Columbia University, Associate Professor
- 1974-1978 Fordham University, Associate Professor
- 1969-1974 Hunter College (CUNY), Assistant Professor
- 1966-1969 Columbia University, Instructor-Lecturer
- 1962-1965 Barnard School for Boys, chair of Mathematics Department.
- Alethophobia (fear of truth) IBEX Publishers, Inc. Bethesda, MD 20824, 2007
- Dardedel: Rumi, Hafez, and Love in New York. The Permanent Press Sag Harbor NY, 2003.
- Avicenna and I: The Journey of Spirits. Mazda Publishers, Costa Mesa, California 1996.
- Cry For My Revolution, Iran. Mazda Publishers, Costa Mesa, California, 1987.
- Forthcoming Novel: Out of the Gray: A Concerto for Neurons and Synapses.
- 1987 Post Revolutionary Iran. Hooshang Amirahmadi, co-editor. West View Press, Boulder, Colorado, 1988.
- Electronic Encyclopedia, Taban Press, Teheran, 1961.
Middle East Political Economy:
[* republished in an anthology]
- "U.S.-Saudi Arabia Asymmetric Interdependence and its Impact on OPEC Oil Output and Pricing", In Research in the Middle East Economics, Volume 1, chap 7, Karen Pfeifer (ed.). JAI PRESS INC, Connecticut, 1996.
- "On the Synergism of Gender and Class Exploitation: Theory and practice Under Islamic Rule", Review Of social Economy, vol. LI, no2, Summer 1993.
- "Intellectuals, The State, Morality and Economics: A Fuzzy Discourse", Ruzbeh Parvin, co-author. Critique, Spring 1993.
- "Shi'ism and the State in the Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Iran", Mostafa Vaziri, co-author. In Iran: Political Culture in the Islamic Republic. Samih K. Farsoun and Mehrdad Mashayekhi (eds.). Rutledge, London and New York, 1992.
- "The Political Economy of Divine Unity: A Critique of Islamic Theory and Practice", In The Economic Dimensions of Middle Eastern History: Essays in Honor of Charles Issawi. Darwin Press, 1990.
- "Islamic Rule, Economics, Woman, and Man: An Overview of Ideology and Reality", Comparative Economic Studies, Fall 1989.
- "Trade, Technology Transfer, and Hyper-Dutch Disease in OPEC: Theory and Evidence", Hashem Dezhbakhsh, co-author. International Journal of Middle East Studies, August 1988.
- "A Comparison of Land Tenure in Iran Under Monarchy and the Islamic Republic", Majid Taghavi, co-author. In Post Revolutionary Iran, Manoucher Parvin and Hooshang Amirahmadi (Eds.). West View Press, Boulder, Colorado, 1988.
- "Production and Trade of Persian Opium: Law and Economics in Retrospect", M. Sommer, co-author. Orient, 1988.
- "Land Reform versus Agricultural Reform: Turkish Miracle or Catastrophe Delayed?", Mukerram Hic, co-author. International Journal of Middle East Studies, vol. 16, 1984.
- "Technological Transfer in the Midst of Energy Crisis: An Assessment of Current Practice", In Spatial Environment and Resource Policy for Developing Countries, Peter Nikamp and Manas Chatterji (eds.). Grover and Co., London, 1983.
- "Economic Development with a Modicum of Fossil Fuel and Foreign Exchange Resources", Journal of Energy and Development, vol. 8, no. 1, Autumn 1982.
- "Internal and External Resource Constraints and Ideological Environment as Determinants of Iranian Regional Foreign Policy", In Der Iranisch-Irakische Konflict, Quen-Vu and W. Veit (eds.).Druck & Service, Bonn, June 1982.
- "Ideological Trends in the Middle East and the Development of the Turkish Political Economy", Orient, June 1981.
- "Food and Population Dynamics: A Caloric Measurement in Egypt", L. Putterman, co-author. International Journal of Middle East Studies, September 1980.
- "Social Disintegration: Exacerbation of Social Tension in the Sixties and Seventies in Turkey", In Die Turkische Krise. Druck & Service, Bonn, September 1980.
- "Dar Al-Islam" The Evolution of Muslim Territoriality and its Implication for Conflict Resolution in the Middle East", M. Sommer, co-author. International Journal of Middle East Studies, February 1980.
- "Political Economy of Growth and Destruction: A Statistical Interpretation of the Iranian Case", Amir N. Zamani, co-author. Iranian Studies, Winter/Spring 1979.
- "Technology, Economics and the Politics of Oil: A Global View", Journal of International Affairs, Summer 1976.
- "Comments on 'Preliminary Thoughts about the Causes of Harmony and Conflict'", R. Leiter and G. Sirkin (eds.). Economics of Public Choice, Cyrco Press, 1975.
- "Military Expenditure in Iran: A Forgotten Question", Iranian Studies, Autumn 1969.
Economic and Political Theory and Application:
[* republished in an anthology]
- "Is Teaching Neoclassical Economics as the Science of Economics Moral?", Journal of Economics Education, vol. 23, no. 1, January 1992.
- "Smokestacks, Stagnation Episodes and the Regional Economic Impact of Pollution Standards", Stephen J. Finch, co-author. Energy, vol. 9 no. 7, 1984.
- "Disease Status Index: A Systems Approach to the Physioeconomics of Health", John Walsh, co-author, Journal of Policy Analysis and Information Systems, vol. 6, no. 2, June 1982.
- "Capacity, Energy and Environmental Planning in Developing Industries", G. Grammas, co-author. In Energy and Environment in the Developing Countries, Manas Chatterji (ed.). John Wiley & Sons, London, 1981.
- "Man and Machine: A Probabilistic Model of Learning", G. Grammas, co-author. International Journal of Policy Analysis and Information Systems, vol. 4, no. 1, March 1980.
- "Violence From Above: An Econometric Approach", B. Andrews, co-author. M. Chatterji and J. Sigler (eds.). Northeast Peace Science Review, vol. 1, 1978.
- "Air Quality: A Policy Model", Stephen J. Finch, co-author. In New York Affairs, vol. 5, no. 2, 1978.
- "Optimization Models for Environmental Pollution Control: A Synthesis", G. Grammas, co-author. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, August 1976.
- "Technological Abatement versus Locational Adjustment: A Time-Space Dilemma", G. Grammas, co-author. In Energy, Regional Science and Public Policy, P. V. Rompuy and M. Chatterji (eds.). Springer-Verlag, New York, 1976.
- "Technology, Environment and Economic Policies", Journal of the American Economist, Fall 1976.
- "A Joint Utilization Theory of the Economics Structure of Urban Buildings", S. S. Gokturk, co-author. North East Regional Science Review, Autumn 1975.
- "Causative Analysis of the Forms of Crime: A Socioeconomic Approach", P. Frank, co-author. International Journal of Group Tensions, vol. 5, nos. 1 & 2, March/June 1975.
- "Technological Diffusion, Optimum Level of Backwardness and Rate of Per Capita Income Growth: An Econometric Approach", Journal of the American Economist, Spring 1975.
- "Planning Human Capital Structure: A Study of Economic, Demographic and Educational Determinants", Journal of Management Science, August 1974.
- "Economic Determinants of Political Unrest: An Econometric Approach", Journal of Conflict Resolution, June 1973.
Book Reviews and Comments:
- "Death in New York", North Atlantic Review, no. 4, 1992.
- "Zamandukht and Aram", Ararat, vol. XXVI, no. 3, Summer 1985.
Work in Progress or Submitted:
- Review of The Pilgrim's Rules of Etiquette, by Taghi Modarressi. Iranian Studies, Spring 1990.
- Review of Development Planning in Iran from Monarchy to the Islamic Republic, by Kamran Mofid. Iranian Studies, Spring 1989.
- Review of Theories of Comparative Economic Growth, by Kwang Choi. Journal of Economic Literature, March 1985.
- Comment on "Current Political Activities in an Iranian Village." Iranian Studies, Winter 1984.
- Review of Saudi Arabia: Rush to Development, by Ragael El Mallakh. Bulletin of the Middle East Studies Association, 1983.
- Review of Politics and Petroleum: The Middle East and the United States, by J. A. Bill and R. W. Stookey. Iranian Studies, 1977.
- Review of Oil and World Power, by Peter R. Odell. Bulletin of the Middle East Studies Association, Fall 1976.
- Critical Comment on "The Estimation of an Economic Relationship Involving Two Independent Distributive Lags: A Study of Disaggregate Consumption Functions," by Vincent Su. Proceedings of the First Metropolitan Conference in Economics, 1974.
- Review of "Aggression, Hostility and Violence: Nature or Nurture?" by Terry Maple and Douglas W. Matheson (eds.) International Journal of Group Tensions, Fall 1973.
- Letter to the editor entitled "Correct Formulas, on Paul A. Samuelson's article 'The 1972 Nobel Prize for Economic Science.'" Science, vol. 181, no. 4104, September 1973.
- Review of Iran: Economic Development under Dualistic Conditions, by J. A. Amuzegar and M. L. Ferrat. Iranian Studies, Spring/Summer 1972.
- Review of Why Men Rebel, by Ted Gurr. International Journal of Group Tensions, Winter 1972.
- Comment on "Economic Development and Historical Specificity", by A. Ashraf. Iranian Studies, Fall 1969.
- "Life, Death, and Dollars: The Economics of Health Care Expenditure", H. Dezhbakhsh and D. Levy.
- "Potential Real Consumption and Axiomatic Multidimensional Inequality Comparisons: Some Paradoxes", Haider Ali Khan.
- "Externalities and Neutrality of Technical Progress with Many Products and Factors", Haider Ali Khan.
- "Production and Destruction of Authority".
- "The Exploitation By Means of Knowledge and Knowledge as an Antidote for Exploitation: Historical Evidence and Application to International Technology Transfer".
- "International Technology Transfer: Taxonomy, Indices, Models of Technological (Inter)dependence". Hans J. Bloomenstein.
Professional Services and Honors:
- Middle East Economic Association, President, 1985 - 1989. [received distinguished service award ]
- Society For Iranian Studies, Founder, Councilman, President,1968 - 1972.
- Center for Iranian Studies, Board of Directors, 1984 -1986.
- International Organization of Group Tensions, Councilman, 1973 - 1975.
- Journal of International Affairs, Advisory Board, 1970 - 1973.
- Critique, Advisory Board, 1995 - 1999
- President's Fellow, Columbia University, 1967 -1969.
Referee for various journals and university presses, including the:
- Critique: Journal for Critical Studies of the Middle East 1991--
- Middle East Economic Series,1980-1983.
- Journal of Group Tension, 1970-1974.
- Journal of International Affairs, 1975-80.
- Journal of Iranian Studies, 1968-71.
- Iranian Chess Magazine, Founding Father and Editor, 1959-61.
Presentations: Presented papers, chaired panels, and gave lectures in numerous national or international gatherings in Europe, Asia, and North America sponsored by various governments, research institutes, universities, or the following organizations:
- American Economic Review,
- International Journal of Middle East Studies,
- Princeton University Press, and
- Columbia University Press.
University Administration: Chairman of various university and departmental committees; recruitment, graduate program, by-laws, and salary. Organized national and international conferences.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science;
- The American Economic Association;
- Econometric Society;
- Regional Science Association;
- The Institute of Management Sciences (TIMS);
- Operations Research Society of America (ORSA);
- Middle East Studies Association of North America;
- Middle East Economic Association;
- Society for Iranian Studies;
- Peace Science Association;
- Center for Iranian Research and Analysis (CIRA),
- and others.
- Lecture tours on various continents, including a month-long tour in India, supported by the American Government.
Public Service: Numerous television and radio appearances on local and national stations including interviews with Barbara Walters on NBC and appearances on PBS, National Public Radio, and overseas Media.
Use scroll bar at right as needed >>